I’ve seen some of the hardest days ever in my classroom this year. Believe me when I tell you that not everyone is cut out for this and being a middle school classroom teacher is not for the faint of heart. This year has been quite an adventure with its fair share of ups and downs. I would argue that teachers encounter some of the most interesting, quirky, and hilarious people on the planet. I wonder sometimes how these kids found their way to Room 117. I can’t predict what will happen from one day to the next. I can’t explain some of the things I see and hear. And I certainly have to look for the humor many, MANY times throughout the day to keep from absolutely losing it….or going gray before I’m thirty, as I tell my 6th graders.
I thought that I’d share some of the humor with you today although it will only give you a little glimpse into Room 117 and the absolutely hilarious individuals that I’m so blessed to know. Here we go….
1. Kid: “I’m really sick today.” Me: “Why? Do you think it might be allergies?” Kid: “Oh, no! I’m sick cause I fell in the pig pen.”
2. When asked about the itchy ant bites on their ankle, the kid shouted out, “Whoa! They put bubbles on me!”
3. While talking about the need (or lack thereof) for glasses, a girl informed the class: (in thick Ebonics) “I don’t be needin no glasses cuz I be seeing far and up.”
4. It’s cold season in Miss Crummey’s class and a student said first thing in the morning, “I’m sick today.” Me: “Uh, oh! That’s not good!” Kid: “Yeah, and I think it’s beating me.”
5. The same kid whom the cold was beating later informed me that, “It’s getting stronger!” This might have been a battle of epic proportions- cold vs. kid.
6. After looking at a picture of my sisters and I, a kid asked, “So, are ya’ll like fourthlets or something?”
7. After smiling at a kid in my class they say, “I’m used to real smiles, not fake ones.” (My thoughts…Geez, what do you think that was???)
8. While making a birthday card, a kid informed me that the card was “flusterating” him. Ha.
9. I think this was minor misspelling on our grammar work….(I’m typing this as it was written.) “Sugar will dissolve in water if you poot enough.” Yes, I laughed out loud.
10. Dating advice from a 6th grader: “I’m not dating anyone because I like riding horses by myself.”
And there you have it, folks. Hope this brought a smile to your face today. I’m sure we’ll have more stories to tell- just wait until tomorrow!