To all the ladies: Let what you are about to read be words of advice and encouragement for you. I can’t claim to have all the answers, but I do know this- you are beautiful, important, and worthy to have the very best. While being “single” (I hate that term because it sounds so labeled and lonely) I’ve learned so much about the qualities that young, Christian women should have and any guy worth dating will appreciate. Here are a few…
- Modest is hottest! Ladies, let’s face it. If you’re looking for a good, Christian guy and you’re clothing isn’t modest, you’re probably not attracting the right crowd. Any guy worth dating will respect you for this!
- One of the most beautiful qualities in a girl is her confidence. Be confident…not arrogant, but confident. A high self-esteem opens a window for your natural, inner beauty to shine through. When you love yourself, you’re better able to love others.
- Never settle. Just because he’s cute doesn’t mean he’s the one. Never justify a relationship on the grounds of outer beauty. (Or handsomeness, rather.)
- It is okay to be single. If you’re dating guys just to say that you’re dating…. you may be dating for the wrong reasons. Sometimes God uses this time to grow our relationship with Him. He speaks when it’s quiet and when we’re listening!
- Excessive PDA. Hmmmm. This should go without saying, but I’m going there. Ladies, don’t let it go too far. If it’s done in public, you’re leaving much speculation about what’s being done when others aren’t looking. I’ll let you be the judge. Check out 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5.
- It’s okay to have standards. (But please do keep in mind that no guy is ever perfect!) God knows what you want, but He also knows what you need. He won’t allow you to pass up meeting the man He made for you. Don’t lower your standards because “there just aren’t any good guys around”. The world may scream, “It’s hopeless”, but in Christ, nothing ever is!
- God should always be the most important man in your life. If you haven’t fallen in love with Jesus, any relationship you find yourself in will always be lacking something.
- Speak kindly. Your words have the power to speak life and death (Proverbs 18:21). Be a woman of sweet speech and others will take notice!
- Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly (Micah 6:8). Seek to help others who are less fortunate than you. Be merciful and forgiving. Be gracious because grace was given freely to you! Humility says far more about who you truly are than words ever could.
- And finally, just be you! God doesn’t make mistakes. He loves who you are and what you look like. Every freckle. Every dimple. Every pound! He admires you because He made you. Your personality is priceless, your smile is unique, your laugh is contagious, and there is no one else like you.
In my own life, I’ve learned that waiting doesn’t mean I’m wasting life. It means that I’m willing to spend this time, this quiet time, listening and watching God write an amazing story. I want my life story to shout God’s name so that all who know me (and those who don’t) can unmistakably see who holds the pen! I pray for the man I will marry someday (I think my family does too…. but for other reasons. LOL).